Monday 10 December 2012

Vhils: Scratching the surface


The portuguese street artist Alexandre Farto, commonly known as Vhils, have an unique take on street art.  He converts the wall to a scratchboard, chipping away the plaster and remove the negative space with a weathered touch. The wall becomes the subject itself and his portraits grows out of the wall. I first saw Vhils work in the streets London and was amazed by his technique and style. Since then, I've seen his works in the streets of Paris, Berlin and Stavanger.

With Vhils wall portraits, I get the feeling that "the wall" is trying to tell me something. Maybe make me aware of the sacrifices that some humans do for the sake of humanity and against oppression and that others pains and struggles have secured my own freedom and welfare.

The summer of 2012, I was lucky to see a solo exhibition of Vhils in Paris. I often find that artist that do work in the streets doesn’t work very well inside, as art in a gallery. Vhils works did well in the gallery. Using his unique scratching and chipping technique on doors, iron plates and styrofoam making smaller scale portraits.

I took the picture above in Stavanger, Norway, april 2012. "The fisherman" was made for the nuart festival in Stavanger 2010 and the huge portrait still looks strikingly fresh!

Together with this image I choose "Fisherman's Blues" by the Waterboys (click the link or the "play" button below!).

2 comments:

  1. Fascinating technique. It gives me associations with pain, something twisted and unpleasant, yet, his expression is mild and the uneven edge on a light background is giving him some kind of glory (in my eyes), so yes, I can see what you mean.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thnx for publishing this resource on the internet.

    my blog post ... tutors melbourne (org.au)

    ReplyDelete