Wednesday 12 February 2014

Osch aka Otto Schade: Experimenting in The Streets

"I'm motivated by the idea of producing something interesting, different 

and unique, experimenting with shapes and materials" 

(Otto Schade).


Osch aka Otto Schade  is a multicreative artist with a successful career as an architect and a surreal painter and sculptor, so what the hell is he doing vandalizing the streets of London with graffiti?


Otto Schade, a german sounding name, is born in Chile in 1971 and live and works in London. I've only seen his work in the streets of London, and yes, he have an unique style developed over years and his stencils, somtimes simplistic and sometimes so complicated, both in shapes and colours. He uses warm and bright colours, and therefore easy to spot and recognize.

Surreal street art
A simple and small, but great stencil found in London
 So why do a relative aknowledged and award-winning artist work in the streets? The reason may be in his combined background as architect, painter and skulptor, doing public installations. Doing street art is an environmental act, transforming the the city aesthetics and challenge our minds. Doing street art nowadays is also a great way to get publicity as an artist. In Shade's words "I'm not sure where I'm going with this, but I think the path is the exciting thing and not knowing where my work is going makes me happy. I think recognition from people is an important thing I am looking for,...." On my last trip to London, I found several of his more simple, but ingenious circle formed stencil works which I will call "The Innocence and the man made danger" series of some I post below:





Please visit Otto Shade's website here!

No comments:

Post a Comment