Wednesday 11 June 2014

The future is leaving......

Some days ago, I looked back on my photos from New York in September 2013, when 5 Pointz still excisted and just before Banksy took residence for a month in october, and I came across a photo I took of a bus shelter outside of 192 Books on 10th avenue. I didn't exactly understand why I took the photo in the first Place, except that the board looked peculiar. I thought it was an ad. I did some research and was excited to find out that the board on the shelter was  an "ad take over" by Ron English. An "ad take over" is when a street artist is using a space which is meant for commercials, and alter or replace it with works of art. An "Ad take over" is related to adbusting, brandalism and subvertising. Beloved activities for some street artists, and in 2011 street artists organised a massive ad takeover during one afternoon in Madrid. The project was international and called SAT (street advertising takeover).


The "Future is leaving" is placed by Levi's, and the " heartbrain" with the text "Nevermind Your Emotions" is placed there by Ron English. I guess that either Cemusa or Levi's appreciated this take over. I did! 




Ron English is a multicreative artist and has exhibitions i galleries all over the world and works exhibited in contemporary art museums. Ron English is also a street artist that creates illegal murals and billboards with biting political, consumerist and surrealist statements. Cemusa, a Spanish Company, is according to them selves an international leader in street furniture and I guess street furniture is different kind of installations and equipment placed outside for different purposes, e.g. bus shelters and part of their business strategy is to create space for commercials. That makes them a target for SATs and adbusters. See more of Ron English at propaganda tv.

No comments:

Post a Comment