Wednesday 13 March 2013

Steve Powers: A love story in the streets


In 2008 Steve Powers also known as ESPO spent about six months in Ireland, in Dublin and Belfast. Steve Powers is from Philadalphia US, and have a history of being a notorious graffiti maker and a writer (one who makes tags). In 1994 he moved to New York and became infamous for painting his signature boxy letters in daylight on shuttered storefronts. His work led to his apartment being raided by the police’s vandals squad in 1999. With six felony charges in Manhattan and Brooklyn for criminal mischief, he eventually accepted a plea deal in which he did five days of community service. In an interview Steve Powers explained his decision to stop painting illegally: “I wanted to find a way to grow out of it while succeeding at being creative.”

In 2008 he was granted a fulbright. His idea was to create public artwork with the help of teenagers from troubled housing projects in Dublin and Belfast. The theme was " a love story in the streets". The fulbright primarily go to scholars and professionals who go abroad to pursue research and teach in academic and specialized fields. Thirty-seven Fulbright winners have also received Nobel Prizes.
“I was shocked,” Steve Powers said in an interview; “I didn’t think I would get it but I felt a few feet taller when I did.” Although a Fulbright scholar typically must have a doctorate, Steve Powers, an art school dropout, was granted an exception because of his achievement in the arts.
I first heard about Steve Powers when I saw the documentary film "Beautiful Loosers" and fell in love with him and his hair he he. A lovely personality and brimful of creative ideas. I took the photos in this blog in Dublin on a nice an windy nice afternoon together with my daughter (she is found of street art). 
Visit the online home of Stephen Powers and the ICY Sign mechanics here. Together with this I choose the song "Overkill" from the scottish born artist Colin Hay, known from the band "men at work". (Click on the link or the "play" button in the box below to listen).

No comments:

Post a Comment