Thursday 14 March 2013

Run: Spreading Colour in Cork


Run is an italian that thinks big is better, especially in a era when the mass communication from corporate advertisements are so massive everywhere.  Tags and wall writing graffiti are almost invisible in a busy visual environment. The street artist should create a contrast.  If the background is gray, Run will use as much colour as he can.


Run has created big murals all over the world and travel all the time. I ran into Run for the first time in Cork, Ireland. I love Cork and the area around and I'm always feel at home there. The fresh air from the sea, the green suroundings and the atmosphere is calm and easy. Maybe thats just on the surface, 'cause Cork is known as the "rebel city" (a name that originates from their support to the Yorks against the Lancasters)  and my friend in Cork says that they're still "rebels", nowadays against the more influential big brother Dublin and Corkians refer to their city as "the real capital".


The city is divided by the river Lee and it was on a walk along the canal i discovered these strange figures and human like wall paintings. Like Run him self, the figure on the photo spreads colours from his hand. His style is unique and easy recognizable by the way he paints faces and hands. His figures are colurful and supernatural. Run have his own motivation for painting and says in an interview: "Let’s just say that I paint because I want to travel.  There’s no better thing than to see another country and culture and possibly work during the trip.  If I can keep my travel wheel spinning that’s enough for me to be happy". I think that's a really good idea. Run is hard to reach. but have his own website for for followers who wants to know whats going on, here. Fairport Convention with "Who Knows where The Time Goes" follows this post (click on the link or the "play" button below to listen).

No comments:

Post a Comment