Monday 3 March 2014

ADW: Subversive Commercials

It's some time ago since I posted something from Dublin Ireland.  I think the works of  ADW represent the soul of street art; politically charged and opposition towards the power (financial, political and commercial). ADW is an activist and do illegal and legal works in the streets.

'Cop on' is Irish slang for 'Get real' or 'Wise up'
a comment on fake tan which give an orange look rather than brownish
An attack on dominating brands with huge financial resources and interests! 
ADW is clearly an admirer of Banksy and in an interview ADW says: “There’s French Banksys, Spanish Banksys. Banksy changed what art could mean, everyone could understand his artwork, that’s what I try to achieve too. In the wake of him a lot of good street art has come about.” He hopes that people see the difference, not least an Irish sense of humour in his pieces. ADW doesn't regard himself as just a street artist, a label he struggles with. “I hate to pigeon hole it, what I do is stencils. But I plan to keep pushing, printing forms, screen printing. I prefer to just say artist. Street art, urban art, various terms, it’s all art.” I like the works he has left in Dublin and hope yo see more when I go back.

No comments:

Post a Comment