Sunday 16 March 2014

Guido Van Helten : Huge portraits in the streets

I really like the architecture in Edinburgh and the dark colours of the soft limestone
I often visit Edinburgh, not because of the street art, but to see friends. However, as always, I have my eyes open for art works in the streets and surprises are always very welcomed. As I walk up Lieth Walk, I see the piece across the street. I don't recognize the artist, but the work is great and the location is perfect. By posting it on Instagram, someone told me that the work was done by Guido Van Helten. An Australian based street artist who travels the world and paint.

The motive is from the play 'Seven deadly sins' by Berthold Brecht and Kurt Weill staged in Edinburgh in 1961. The women portrayed are Anna I and Anna II
The mural is a part of an art project supported by the city council and organized by LiethLate called The 'Shutter Project'.

I just love to hang out for a while and watch people passing by
I have later seen some of Guido Van Helten's work in London and the artist seems to choose motives from old pictures, pictures from theatrical plays which have connection to the place or location he is painting.. See more of the artist's works on his webpage.

No comments:

Post a Comment